Ruhi Kalia is a famous Bengali dish. It is preferred by all bengalis as their daily meal with steamed rice.
Ingredients for preparing Ruhi Kalia:
- Ruhi fish : 6 pieces
- Onion paste : 2 tbsp
- Ginger paste : 1 tsp
- Garlic paste : 1 tsp
- Cumin seed powder : 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder : 1 tsp
- Sugar : ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder : 1 tsp
- Salt : to taste
- Tomato puree : ½ cup
- Oil : 250 ml
- Coriander leaves : 1 bunch (chopped)
- Bay leaves : 1 piece
Procedure for preparing Ruhi Kalia:
- Wash the fish & rub with salt & turmeric powder & keep aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in the pan & allow it to warm.
- Add fish & deep fry one by one.
- Remove fishes from the pan & add bay leaves, cumin seeds in the rest of the oil.
- Add onion, garlic & stir well.
- Add sugar, turmeric powder, red chilli powder & ginger.
- Add salt & stir well.
- Add tomato puree & mix well together.
- When oil releases add a cup of water & allow it to boil.
- Add fried fishes.
- Add garam masala powder & remove from heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with plain rice.