Dhokar Dalna is a traditional Bengali recipe. This tasty & vegetarian recipe is done mainly in any special occation.
Ingredients for preparing Dhokar Dalna:
- Chana Dal : 100 gm
- Matar Dal : 100 gm
- Oil : as required
- Black cumin seed : 1 tsp
- Sugar : 1 ½ tsp
- Ginger paste : 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder : 2 tsp
- Tomato puree : 4 tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Ghee : 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder : 1 tsp
- Asafoetida : a pinch
- Whole cumin seed : 1 tsp
- Bay leaves : 1 piece
- Turmeric powder : ½ tsp
- Roasted cumin seed powder : 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves: for garinshing
Procedure for preparing Dhokar Dalna:
- Soak chana dal & matar dal over night.
- Drain out the water.
- Grind this soaked dal & keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan.
- Add black cumin seeds, grounded dal & stir continuously in low flame.
- Add ½ tsp of turmeric powder, salt, 1 tsp of red chilli powder, 1 tsp of roasted cumin seeds powder, 1 tsp of ginger paste, 1 tsp of sugar. Sttir continuously till golden brown.
- Grease a dish with 1 tsp of oil.
- Spread cooked dal mixture in the dish.
- Allow it to cool.
- Cut the mixture using a knife in diamond shape or square shape.
- Heat 1 cup of oil in a pan.
- Deep fry the shaped & cooked dal. Dhokas are ready. Keep aside.
- Heat 4 tbsp of oil in another pan.
- Add bay leaves, asafoetida & stir fry till colour changes.
- Add 1 tsp of red chilli powder, ½ tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tsp of ginger paste, ½ tsp of sugar, salt, tomato puree, 1 tsp of roasted cumin seed powder.
- Stir well & add 2 cups of water. Let it to boil.
- Add fried dhokas. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add ghee & garam masala powder.
- Remove from heat, garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot.
Note: If you wish you can add boiled potato in the recipe.