Prawn/Chemeen curry is a very famous cuisine of Kerala where the prawns are made in a chatti(it’s a mud pot in which Keralites make fish) with coconut paste and other spices along with drumsticks and green/raw mango. This dish is spicy and tangy at the same time.
Ingredients for Prawn Curry (Kerala Style)
- Prawn(medium) – 300 gms
- Drumsticks – 2 (Cut them in index finger size)
- Green chillies – 5 (slit)
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Green/raw Mango – 1 small (peel skin and cut in inch long pieces)
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut – ½ coconut (scraped)
- Jeera/Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 strands
- Dry red chillies – 2(broken in halves)
- Onion shallots – 2(sliced)
- Coconut/refined oil – 2 tbsp
- Water – to cook the prawn and for the gravy
Procedure for Preparing Prawn Curry (Kerala Style)
In a chatti/ kadhai /deep pan add cleaned prawns, green chillies, green mango, drumsticks, a pinch turmeric powder and enough water to cover the prawns and cook.
Meanwhile make a paste of coconut, jeera/cumin seeds and turmeric powder with a little water and keep aside.
Once the drumsticks and prawns are cooked add the prepared coconut paste to it and mix well. Add salt to this and water if required to get the right consistency of the gravy.
Let it come to a boil and then turn off the heat.
In another frying pan add heat coconut/refined oil and add mustard, let it splutter then add curry leaves, onion shallots and dry red chillies. Now pour this on the prepared prawn curry and mix well.
Check seasoning and serve hot with steaming hot rice.