Bengali Cholar Dal is a traditional Bengali recipe. The aromatic flavour of chana dal (cholar dal) with coconut & spices is the main attraction of this dish. It tastes best when served with hot luchi/puri.
Ingredients for preparing Bengali Cholar Dal:
- Chana dal (Chola dal) : 250 gm
- Oil : 1 tbsp
- Cumin seed : 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder : ½ tsp
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Dry red chilli : 1 piece
- Coconut : ½ cup (grated)
- Bay leaves : 1 piece
- Asafoetida : 1 pinch
- Raisins : 25 gm
- Salt : to taste
Procedure for preparing Bengali Cholar Dal:
- Boil chola dal with turmeric powder, salt & 2 cups of water.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seed, bay leaves, asafoetida, dry red chilli & stir for a minute.
- Add the boil dal, salt, sugar, coconut.
- Add water if required.
- Cook for few minutes til it thickens.
- Add raisins & remove from heat.
- Serve hot with luchi or paratha.