The presence of dal in Lau Dal obviously indicates the high protein content of this auxiliary item. And Lau, with its high water content, speaks for itself. Lau Dal is a combination where the two are brought together.
Ingredients for preparing Lau Dal:
- Lau (bottle-Guard) : 200 gm (diced)
- Moong Dal : 250 gm
- Green Peas : 1 cup
- Salt : to taste
- Turmeric powder : ½ tsp
- Sugar : 1 tsp
- Ginger paste : 1 tsp
- Whole cumin seed : ½ tsp
- Dry red chilli : 1 piece
- Bay leaves : 1 piece
- Oil : 1 tsp
- Ghee : 1 tsp
Procedure for preparing Lau Dal:
- Heat a wok.
- Add moong dal & stir fry till golden brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Boil the fried mong dal, lau & green peas in 2 cups of water with turmeric powder & a pinch of salt.
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add whole dry chilli, whole cumin seed, bay leaf. Stir fry till golden brown.
- Add ginger paste. Stir & pour boiled dal, lau & green peas with the water in it.
- Add salt & sugar. Allow it to boil for 2 minutes in low flame.
- Add ghee before removing from heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.