Pav bhaji is a very authentic and traditional cuisine of Northern India and is famous throughout the country. The bhaji is a mix of various vegetables which makes it healthy and is served hot with pavs roasted in butter.
Ingredients for the Bhaji
- Onions – 2 medium(chopped)
- Potatoes – 4 large(boiled and smashed)
- Beans – 1 cup (boiled and slightly smashed)
- Spring onions – ½ cup(chopped finely)
- Capsicum – ½ cup(chopped finely)
- Green peas – ½ cup (disheveled and boiled)
- Tomatoes – 2 medium (chopped finely)
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Pav bhaji masala – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing(chopped)
- Lime juice -½ of a lemon
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Procedure for preparing the Bhaji
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add the onions and garlic paste and sautÃ© till they turn tender. Now add the chopped capsicum and spring onions and sautÃ© for another 3-4 minutes till they also turn tender.
To this add the turmeric powder, chili powder,salt and the pav bhaji masala and sautÃ© for another 2 minutes. Now add the chopped tomatoes, smashed potatoes and other boiled vegetables and mix well smashing them in between with the spoon. Check the seasoning and add butter to it. Your bhaji is ready and all you need to do is to garnish it with coriander leaves and a hint of lime juice.
Ingredients for the Paav
- Paav – 2 packets
Procedure for preparing the Paav
Cut the pav bhaji bread into two and apply butter on them and toast them slightly. Serve it hot with the bhaji.