Sambar is a vegetarian dish made with tamarind and pigeon peas, and is very popular in the cooking of southern regions of India especially in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh. Each state in South India prepares it with a typical variation, adapted to its taste and environment.
Ingredients For Sambar Recipe
- Onion– 2 (sliced)
- Tuvar dal – 2 cups
- Sambar powder – 3 tbsp
- Tomato – 1medium (cut in 4 pieces)
- Tamarind – 1 small ball
- Hing powder – 2 small pinches
- Methi seeds(optional) – 4-5
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – a pinch
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6-7 leaves
- Brinjal/Eggplant – 1 small ( cubed)
- Potatoes – 2 large (cubed)
- Drumstick (saragwa) – 2 (cut in 1 ” small pieces)
- Lal kumbla(pumpkin) – 100 gms ( cut in small pieces)
- Yam elephant(chena)– 100 gms (cut in small pieces)
- Beans – 50 gms (cut in 1 ” small pieces)
- Bhindi (okra) – 3-4 (cut in 1 ” small pieces)
- Red chilli – 2(broken into 2 pices each)
- Salt to taste
- Corinader leaves(Dhanya patta) – for garnishing
Procedure for preparing Sambar Recipe
Take the tamarind in a small bowl with some water and smash it in it and keep aside.
Boil all the vegetables like brinjal,pumpkin, yam, beans, potato,drumstick and bhindi and keep aside.
Meanwhile pressure cook the tuvar dal with turmeric and coriander powder and little salt till the dal is cooked well.
In a kadhai/pan heat oil and fry the onions till they turn tender and slightly pinkish in colour. Once the onions are done keep them aside .
Add some more oil in the pan and add methi (fenugreek) seeds (optional, till it splutters) then add hing (asafoetida), a pinch of turmeric powder and sambar powder and sautÃ© well till the masala is cooked. To this add the fried onions and again sautÃ© for a minute. Now add the tomatoes and boiled vegetables and stir for another minute.
Add the boiled tuvar dal to this and mix well. Add water for the required consistency and let it boil. To this add the tamarind juice along with the water in which it was smashed (make sure not to add too much as it will turn out very tangy). Add required salt to this.
in a different frying pan add little oil and add mustard seeds to it till it splutters and then add the curry leaves and red chillies. Pour this on top of the prepared sambar. Garnish with coriander leaves.