Moong Dal with Katla (Catla) fish’s head, is a well known traditional Bengali Recipe. The combination is a favourite to all Bengalis.
Ingredients for preparing Moong Dal with Katla Fish:
- Moong/ Split Golden Gram Dal – 250 gm
- Head of Katla/Catla/Indian Carp Fish – 400 gm
- Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Whole jeera seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 piece (chopped)
- Tomato – 1 piece (chopped)
- Green chilli – 1 piece (slit)
- Bay leaf – 1 piece
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Oil – as required
Procedure for preparing Moong Dal with katla Fish:
- Heat a pan.
- Pour Moong dal in the pan. Stir till golden brown.
- Remove from heat.
- Boil the fried dal with 1 cup of water, ½ tsp of turmeric powder & ghee, till it becomes tender. Keep aside.
- Rub the head of katla fish with turmeric powder & salt. Keep for 15 minutes.
- Heat ½ cup of oil in a wok.
- Deep fry the head of katla fish. Take out from oil. Crush it & keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in another pan.
- Add bay leaf, whole jeera seeds & when it is light brown, add green chilli.
- Add chopped onion Stir fry.
- Add ginger paste, salt, tomato, sugar & fried head of katla fish. Stir well for 2 minutes.
- Pour boiled moong dal & ½ cup of water. Cook till it boils.
- Remove from heat & serve with steamed rice & lemon slices.